This past September, my family and I had a cookout on Labor Day. As far as meat goes, there was ribs, hamburgers, and hot dogs. The weather was beautiful that day. What many didn’t know at that time was that was our last time eating pork. We gave away leftover food to our guests. We also gave away all pork and pork products that we had in the refrigerator, freezers, and cupboards. Culturally, this has been a food that we’ve eaten all our lives. It all started from slavery in which the typical diet was cornbread and pork. Slaves did not dine on the best cuts of meat; they typically ate scraps or the parts of the pig that were left over like the snout, ears, intestines, feet, and whatever else was not eaten by the slave owners. Today, some of us still eat these pork parts in addition to pork roast, bacon, and ham.
You may notice that many of the fast food commercials advertise something with pork..the Wendy’s Baconator, the Burger King Bacon King, etc. It’s delicious and juicy, right? About 1,000 calories in one burger. It’s been a tradition to eat pork at certain times of the year. Tradition or not, I stopped eating pork for these reasons:
- The Most High instructed his people not to eat pork (Leviticus 11:7-8).This is the most important reason. We are not to eat it or even touch it acocording to scripture because it is unclean.
- Pigs eat anything. We know that cows eat grass; however, pigs will eat ANYTHING from dead bodies (humans and animals), leftover table scraps, bugs, and their own feces!
- Pigs carry parasites. The worm Trichinella spiralis is a larvae found in raw or undercooked pork. The larvae form cysts and embed themselves in muscle. When a person eats raw or undercooked pork, stomach acids dissolve the cysts and the larvae move to the small intestine. The larvae become adult worms and produce more. The larvae move to various muscles in the body and the cycle starts again.
- Spirits can possess certain animals. We’ve all seen movies like The Exorcist or Fallen in which spirits inhabit people and/or animals. Luke 8:29-36 describes a man possessed with many demons. The demons left the man and entered into some swine, causing them to run into a lake and drown. If spirits could inhabit pigs at that time, the same can be true today.
- Eating pork is unhealthy. Pigs don’t have sweat glands, which means that impurities stay in their bodies. Culturally, my ancestors, family, some friends, and even myself have high blood pressure. That condition usually is accompanied by high cholesterol and diabetes. If I did not change my diet, I would also have high cholesterol and diabetes. Since September, I’ve lost 6 pounds. You don’t want to be in a situation in which you are dependent on prescription drugs.
Many of you will read this blog post and ignore it. It’s hard to change if you been doing something all of your life. However, for those of you have health issues and want to become healthier, this is a step in the right direction. Most importantly, we want to follow the statues and commandments of the Most High. I have seen the positive outcomes by doing so. Like I mentioned, I’ve learned much over the past few months that I will be sharing with you. I’m looking forward to it!